1 MW solar power plant in Monaragala added to national grid
Fri, Oct 22, 2021, 11:44 pm SL Time, ColomboPage News Desk, Sri Lanka.
Oct 22, Colombo: The 1 MW solar power plant installed in the Kahambana area in Monaragala was recently added to the national grid.
The event was presided over by State Minister of Power and Energy Duminda Dissanayake.
This project is being implemented under the second phase of the “Soorya Bala Sangramaya” program implemented by the Ceylon Electricity Board in association with the Sustainable Energy Authority of Sri Lanka.
This solar power plant is operated by Vidullanka PLC.
The power plant is expected to add 1.5 gigawatt hours of capacity to the national grid annually.
The government targets to meet 70% of the national electricity requirement by 2030 through renewable energy projects including
• Large scale hydro power plants,
• Solar power plants installed on the ground,
• Wind farms (on land / on wind),
• Solar power systems mounted on roofs,
• Floating solar power plants,
• Small scale hydro power plants,
• Geothermal power plants,
• Biomass power plants, and
• Tidal power generation.